What is a Bonded Web User Surety Bond?
A bonded web user surety bond is required by the California DMV for those businesses who want to process transactions through the DMV Website. The bonded web user can process interstate transactions such as registration services, apportioned vehicle license plates, weight decals, and year stickers. The purpose of the bonded web user surety bond is to protect the state of California and its employees from damage or loss under the IRP Bonded Web User Agreement.
How do I apply for a Bonded Web User Surety Bond?
- Complete our online Bonded Web User Surety Bond application, or
- Download and complete our printable Bonded Web User Surety Bond application, and
- Receive your surety bond quote in minutes!
What is the Bonded Web User Surety Bond amount?
The bonded web user surety bond amount is set at $50,000 by the California DMV.
Why do I need a Bonded Web User Surety Bond?
The surety bond is needed as a requirement to provide remote intrastate registration services. The bonded web user will ultimately interface with the CA DMV’s registration system which creates the opportunity for financial harm to be caused to the state. The surety bond intends to offer a “backstop” should the state suffer a loss caused by the actions of the bonded web user. Primarily, the surety bond may provide protection for covered claims involving:
- The misuse of information obtained from the DMV or the customers the bonded web user is servicing;
- Funds collected by the bonded web user which are due to the DMV;
- Information obtained from the DMV or customers by the bonded web user using false or misleading representations;
- Information obtained from the DMV or customers which is used for any other purpose than outlined by the IRP Bonded Web User Agreement;
- Any other act which causes harm to the DMV or customers while performing the duties of a bonded web user.
As you can see from the claims triggers mentioned above, the surety bond is rather broad in terms of coverage.
How much does the Bonded Web User Surety Bond cost?
The cost of these bonds is generally $500 for applicants with an excellent credit score. However, those applicants with little experience or financial capacity can expect a premium of $1,000 – $1,500 each year the bond is in place.
How long will it take to receive my Bonded Web User Surety Bond?
The surety bond can generally be issued the same day we receive your application. In some cases, the surety company may have additional questions based on your experience. However, most bonds are issued the same day they are approved.
Back to Surety Bonds in California